IB French Language B
Language B is a language acquisition course designed for students with some previous learning of that language. It may be studied at either SL or HL. The main focus of the course is on language acquisition and development of language skills. These language skills are developed through the study and use of a range of written and spoken material. The aim of this course is to enable students to communicate effectively in French, in a wide range of authentic situations and to a range of audiences, in both spoken and written form. They will also be able to understand a wide range of written texts and spoken material and respond accordingly. The cultural context of Francophone countries will provide exposure to the ideas and attitudes of these nations by means of texts and recorded material, creating an appreciation of cultural and international diversity.
The course comprises five prescribed themes:
- identities (lifestyles, health and well-being, beliefs and values, subcultures, language and identity)
- experiences (leisure activities, holidays and travel, life stories, rites of passage, customs and traditions, migration)
- human ingenuity (entertainment, artistic expressions, communication and media, technology, scientific innovation)
- social organization (social relationships, community, social engagement, education, the working world, law and order)
- sharing the planet (the environment, human rights, peace and conflicts, equality, globalization, ethics, urban and rural environment)
Additionally, at HL students must read at least 2 works of literature. Recent books chosen have included, Monsieur Ibrahim et les Fleurs du Coran (Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt) , Oscar et la Dame Rose (Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt) , Le Petit Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry), Le Dieu du Carnage (Yasmina Reza).
Both HL and SL are assessed by a combination of externally graded work and internallly marked work that is moderated by IBO.
External (weighting: 75%), duration: SL = 1 hour 45 minutes, HL = 2 hours)
- Paper 1 (weighting: 25%) - Productive skills : Writing (30 marks)
- SL: One written task of 250-400 words from a choice of 3 (each from a different theme, choosing an appropriate text type) - duration: 1 hour 15 minutes
- HL: One written task of 450-600 words from a choice of 3 (each from a different theme, choosing an appropriate text type) - duration : 1 hour 30 minutes
- Paper 2 (weighting: 50%) - Receptive skills - 2 separate sections: listening and reading (65 marks).
- Listening (25 marks): 3 audio passages drawn from all five themes, SL = 45 minutes, HL = 1 hour
- Reading (40 marks): 3 written texts drawn from all five themes, duration: 1 hour
Internal (weighting: 25%)
- Individual oral assessment in Grade 12 (30 marks)
- SL: one recorded individual oral presentation based on a picture, followed by a conversation on the theme of the picture and a discussion based on an additional theme.
15 minutes’ preparation time followed by a 10-12 minute presentation and discussion with the teacher.
- HL: one recorded individual oral presentation based on an extract from one of the literary works studied in class, followed by a discussion based on one or more of the themes from the syllabus.